While addressing a group of young women at
Kinabuti's Dare2Dream Master Class event which
happened in Lagos recently, Peter Okoye's wife and
mother of 2, Lola Omotayo revealed that she suffered
sexual abuse by a priest when she was in secondary
school and beaten black and blue by a boyfriend in the university. She said she never told anyone about
the molestation because she didn't believe anyone
would believe her "I couldn't tell anyone because everyone
would blame me, so I carried on the guilt and
bitterness with me for years. I was filled with
hate and I became an angry person, I was
rebellious, I didn't want to listen to anybody…
and because I wanted to be expelled from school to avoid seeing this person, I would do so
many terrible things, everything around me
was just so negative, I felt I wasn't good
enough." 'I moved on to the university, met the love of
my life and I'm like, okay this guy is cool, he
loves me but he started to abuse me. I was
beaten black and blue all the time, in front of
friends, in public and at a point, I felt, you know
what, I am not worthy enough, there is nothing about me that is nice, nobody loves me but I hid
this from my family. I felt like a loser, so it was
hard for me to focus. But one day, I woke up
and said I am going to change my story and I
dumped that person, focused on my education
and decided to be serious and be something. I decided to get a job and go to school full time in
America.' She said she worked hard to make her own money
so she could be independent and not have to rely on
any man. She said being independent and making her
own money helped her build her confidence and
pushed to achieve more in life. She then talked about
her husband, Peter Okoye "Look at my husband, when I met him, peeps
were like what are you doing with him, he has
nothing but I stood my ground and chose to
stick with him because he had a dream. He and
his twin brother did not let their dream die, they
worked hard, look at them today! I stuck by him because he had focus and drive and today I am
happy, I have a good life, we are happy and we
have got a beautiful family. No one can make
you a loser.'what a pity

No comments:
Post a Comment